Tropical Depressions, by definition, are nothing serious (don't worry, moms). It usually means a lot of rain, but the wind speeds are harmless. Like I said its just rain... lots and lots of rain. Check it out:
Over the last couple of weeks the oppressive heat that has blanketed San Pedro Sula has transitioned to cooler temps (70s and 80s) and frequent showers. About a week or so ago it rained pretty hard and thundered about as loud as I have ever heard. Given we're living in the Sula Valley those in the area without adequate shelter has been at a big risk.
Suffice to say, I (Dan) was surprised to show up at school and be greeted by this outside my classroom:
Yup... the ceiling outside my classroom has become separated from the rest of the building. Not cool. Luckily, my classroom is fine and the damage is all outside it.
That was until today. As TD16 came into town the last 24 hours has been extremely wet. All day it has been raining and the state of the ceiling became perilous. After reporting the damage over a week ago, maintenance finally came over to the middle school to fix it.
Oh wait... I'm just kidding. They put a bunch of red tape (ironic huh?) around the area that I had already cornered off with tape last week (you can see my handiwork in the above picture). So I spent I significant amount of time after school today scolding kids who we're trying to wander into the closed off area (which now included one set of stairs). Their logical assumed that convenience was more important than safety.
My fear-mongering finally paid off when about 10 minutes later the ceiling collapsed blocking access to my classroom. Here are some pictures:
Needless to say it was relatively entertaining to hear the creaking of the ceiling, watch it slowly shift in a downwards trajectory, and then see it all come down in its drywall and aluminum-braced (I've got a guess why it fell!) glory.
So lucky Mr. Wiersema gets to be the roving teacher for the next couple of days while our top-notch maintenance men will clean up the mess and then leave the ceiling exposed for the next couple of months (just a guess).
Good times!
1 comments :
Very nice. Should have used duck tape.
Mitch
Post a Comment